Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water damage can be a major inconvenience and even a disaster. It can cause structural damage to your home, ruin your belongings, and create a health hazard. If you experience water damage, it is important to take action immediately to minimize the damage and prevent further problems.
Your First Priority: Safety
Your first priority after water damage is to ensure your safety and the safety of your family. Check for electrical hazards and make sure there is no risk of fire. Be careful of wet floors and slippery surfaces. If you are unsure about the safety of your home, it is best to evacuate and call a professional.
If the water damage is extensive, you may need to call a professional restoration company. These companies have the experience and equipment to properly clean up and dry your home, and they can help you prevent mold growth. If you need help with water damage restoration, please contact SERVPRO of South Atlanta at (404) 505-1760. We are available 24/7 to help you get your home back to normal.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (404) 505-1760
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.